Sunday, November 29, 2009

In Pain

My post-Thanksgiving blog... I guess in theory it's the biggest food day of the year. Which is ironic because, for as much as I love food, it's my least favorite holiday. I could care less about turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, cranberries, sweet potatoes, stuffing.....

Joe was struggling with whether or not he was going to spend it with his daughter at her mom's house, or with me. I told him he should just go - we had talked about it months ago and decided then that he would spend Thanksgiving with them and Christmas with me, because Christmas is also my birthday and it would probably be the last one we spend together since I am moving back to Texas next year. I told my friend Elena that I would spend Thanksgiving with her while she was housesitting. I made a southern macaroni and cheese dish and biscuits, and she made a chicken with stuffing, yams, and corn. It all came out really good, and perfect for 2 people. But something happened to me that day. I'm not sure when, or how, but I developed a serious lower back pain.

Is it possible to sit down to eat a meal, and have eaten so much that by the time you stand up, your back gives out to the new weight it has to support? Because I can't think of anything else I did that day that would constitute the pain I now have. Its been here ever since Thanksgiving day, and mostly I feel it when I bend over or go from a sitting position to a standing position.

What's worse is the the pain makes it practically impossible to do anything physical that I might otherwise try to do to exercise off some of my weight gain. I've tried popping my back, applying heat, doing some slow stretches... nothing helps. All I can do - I've been doing - is not eat so much in these days that have followed, so that I might lose some weight from not eating so much. From what I can tell, it's working, but it also makes me a bit lethargic. I don't have great energy. And that really becomes apparent when I'm at work. It's the holiday season. I've had to work all this weekend. I finally had today off, but when you are working retail during the holidays, those 7 and 8 hour days of standing on your feet can really get to you.

Here's hoping the pain goes away this week.



Week: 47
Weight: 235.0
Pounds lost: 3.6
Total pounds lost: 22
Size: 16/18
Goal: 150
Pounds to go: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment